GTA 5 Police
Welcome to GTA 5 Police Community Forums!
Home of the New York City Role play Servers.
Please make your forum account to match your in game name.

ATTENTION: ALL NYPD Staff (Officers and Supervisors)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ATTENTION: ALL NYPD Staff (Officers and Supervisors)

Post by R. James on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:32 pm

There have been a number of concerns addressed to me over the past week or so by both officers and supervisors in regards to certain policies and procedures. It is my goal to clear up some of those misunderstandings here today.

Miranda Rights

There seems to be some misunderstandings in regards to when an individual should be Mirandized by police.

The Miranda Warning (aka Miranda Rights) came about as a result of a 1966 Supreme Court decision, where a suspect (Ernesto Miranda) was not advised of his Fifth and Sixth Amendment rights (the right to remain silent, and the right to legal counsel) prior to questioning.

Put simply, the circumstances under which the Miranda Warning should be applied are "CUSTODY" and "INTERROGATION".
    • CUSTODY means formal arrest OR detainment (the deprivation of freedom to an extent associated with formal arrest).
    • INTERROGATION means explicit questioning or actions that are reasonably likely to elicit an incriminating response.

Officers should Mirandize someone:
    • If they are formally placed under arrest for a specific crime
    • If they are detained (unable to leave on their own free will) pending investigation
    • If they are being interrogated, where their response could likely incriminate them

Officers do NOT need to Mirandize someone:
    • If they are not in CUSTODY, and are making statements that do not incriminate them

If a Miranda Warning is warranted, it should be given at the earliest possible convenience of the arresting officer, and above all, it should be given prior to any questioning by the officer.

Keep in mind, under all circumstances, everyone has the right to remain silent (Fifth Amendment). Should an individual wish to waive their right to remain silent and continue speaking with police, those statements can be used against them. They can always invoke their right to remain silent.

Police 10-Codes

It has been brought to my attention on the forums that some officers and supervisors are using different 10-codes than the rest of the department. In the past, we’ve used a combination of different police codes, frequently those from California. On 09 June 2017, Co-Commissioner Jon posted a complete set of 10-codes (click here for the PDF). These codes are based on those used by NYPD, as we are a Roleplay Community based on the NYPD after all. For clarification, these 10-codes are the ones used during the initial training, and are the ONLY codes to be used while communicating on the servers, regardless of name, rank, platoon, or anything else. Any variation to these codes will be clearly and openly noted by the Senior Management Team prior to their use, and will only be used on rare occasion, if any.

Chain of Command

The command hierarchy of the NYPD Roleplay Community is intended for clear communication and smooth operations while acting as an NYPD officer. With this command hierarchy comes strict accountability. In other words, those who issue orders are responsible for the consequences, not those who carry them out. If an officer is acting on the orders of his immediate supervisor, it is the responsibility of any higher ranking supervisor to address their commands or concerns with the supervisor issuing those orders (i.e. Officer Smith, acts on orders from Sergeant Jones. If a Lieutenant or Captain has concerns about Officer Smith, they should be addressed with Sergeant Jones, as he is the immediate supervisor). Likewise, a Sergeant from one platoon should not be giving orders to officers from other platoons unless specifically ordered to do so by his superiors.

Situations may arise on the server, where the officer’s immediate supervisor is not available. In this case, the next highest ranking supervisor is to be considered the acting supervisor, and may issue orders directly to officers (i.e. If a Sergeant isn’t on, and a Lieutenant or Captain joins, they are acting supervisor).

There may also be times where Command Staff may need officers to switch servers for some administrative reason. These orders should be given to the acting supervisor for that server, and whenever possible, the supervisor should address the most recently joined officers.

While the Chain of Command should be followed at all times, there may be times where an officer or supervisor may have a direct issue with the conduct of their immediate supervisor. In these cases, that officer can voice their concerns to a higher authority within the Chain of Command. It should be noted, however, that if the officers concerns are found to be unwarranted (i.e. the supervisor was acting in proper accordance with the established rules and regulations, and the officer simply didn’t agree with him/her), that officer may be found to be in violation of the chain of command. In this case, the officer may face disciplinary actions, based on a review of the evidence by higher command staff.

Supervisors are expected to follow the Chain of Command just the same as Officers are expected to follow the Chain of Command… it works both ways.

Time Off

Life happens… REAL life, not game life. Most of us here have jobs, families, and circumstances that we have to work around in the real world. What CaptnCrunch, Nightcrawla, and all the Community Devs have created here is nothing short of amazing, and I am honored to be a part of this ever-changing community. I take the Roleplay seriously, as I feel everyone should. We are here to have fun, while enjoying the unique interactions of playing on a ROLEPLAY server.

But at the end of the day, it is a GAME. While you’re on our servers, you are expected to remain true to the ROLEPLAY aspect. When you’re not on our servers, you have every freedom to do whatever you need to. I feel the need to make this clear… If you have something in your REAL life, do not ever feel the need to put this before your real life. I’ve been contacted by numerous staff members (yes, both officers and supervisors) who express concerns over how they feel like this is less of a fun game and more of a real-life job, and they’ve actually considered quitting due to getting stressed out about their “in-game job”.

Some officers have actually approached me due to concerns of losing their rank because they are off for a period of time, dealing with everything from a NEW BABY to serious medical situations with their friends or family members. This is crazy, and this is getting addressed... RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

To quote CaptnCrunch and Nightcrawla: “REAL LIFE COMES FIRST”

If you have some pressing matter come up in real life where you will be unable to participate online for an extended period of time (let’s say a week or more)… Simply notify a member of the SENIOR MANAGEMENT TEAM in addition to your immediate supervisor. Your rank and position will be held, unchanged. If you plan to be gone for more than a month, other arrangements can be made to maintain your position on a case-by-case basis. Under no circumstance should you feel regret because a life issue is causing you to miss some game time. However, if you just aren’t “feeling it” anymore, just tell us. There are no hard feelings about it, things happen.

Summary

Above all, as officers and supervisors alike, we all need to be on the same page here. We need to strive to be FIRM, FAIR, and CONSISTENT across the board. When we have clearly established guidelines and rules, and everyone follows them, it drastically reduces the confusion. When everyone knows where they stand, it helps strengthen and grow our community. We want everyone to have fun, and enjoy themselves while on our servers.

Thank you for taking the time to read this (long-winded) post. While I believe firmly in the Chain of Command, due to being contacted by officers and supervisors alike, I felt it necessary to take a more broad approach, and clear the air on some of these issues in an open format like this.

Unit 207 | R. James
Co-Commissioner, NYPD Roleplay Community

█████████████████

I AM THE SHEEPDOG.
R. James
Commissioner

In Game Job : NYPD

Back to top Go down

Re: ATTENTION: ALL NYPD Staff (Officers and Supervisors)

Post by Unit 219 | Chance Noonan on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:43 am

Unit 219 | Chance Noonan
Senior Management Team

http://www.bluefangsolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ATTENTION: ALL NYPD Staff (Officers and Supervisors)

Post by KarlTheFirst on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Well put.
KarlTheFirst
Chief of Department

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top